Southeastern Louisiana

Afton Villa Plantation

Afton Villa Plantation - Photograph - Plantation Architecture

Afton Villa Plantation near St. Francisville was built for David Barrow in 1849 and destroyed by fire in 1963. This photograph shows a side view of the Gothic Revival house. ZoomifyView »

Afton Villa Main House

Afton Villa Plantation - Photograph - Plantation Architecture

The whimsical Gothic Revival-style Afton Villa in St. Francisville, Louisiana. Built from 1848–56, the masonry structure burned in 1963. ZoomifyView »

Afton Villa Entrance Gallery

Afton Villa Plantation - Photograph - Plantation Architecture

This photograph shows the entrance gallery of Afton Villa Plantation in West Feliciana Parish. ZoomifyView »

Afton Villa Plantation

Afton Villa Plantation - Photograph - Plantation Architecturea

This is one of the few remaining photographs showing Afton Villa Plantation, ca. 1940s. ZoomifyView »

Afton Villa Garden Statues

Afton Villa Plantation - Photograph - Plantation Gardens

Classical statues, such as in this photograph, and the formal gardens are all that remain of the plantation home Afton Villa near St. Francisville. ZoomifyView »

Afton Villa Maze Garden

Afton Villa Plantation - Photograph - Plantation Gardens

This perspective shows off the Afton Villa Maze garden near St. Francisville. In 1963 a fire destroyed Afton Villa and the gardens are all that remain of the plantation. ZoomifyView »

Afton Villa Garden

Afton Villa Plantation - Photograph - Plantation Gardens

The gardens at Afton Villa are open to the public in early summer and fall. ZoomifyView »

Conrad Albrizio

Albrizio, Conrad - Photograph - Black-and-white photo of the artist with a sketch for a mosaic

In addition to the many murals Conrad Albrizio painted through the WPA, he was commissioned by Governor Huey P. Long to paint the murals in the Louisiana state capitol. He taught art at LSU from 1935 until his retirement in 1954. ZoomifyView »

Conrad Albrizio

Albrizio, Conrad - Photograph - Black-and-white photo of the artist with a sketch for a mosaic

In addition to the many murals Conrad Albrizio painted through the WPA, he was commissioned by Governor Huey P. Long to paint the murals in the Louisiana state capitol. He taught art at LSU from 1935 until his retirement in 1954. ZoomifyView »

Conrad Albrizio

Albrizio, Conrad - Photograph - Black-and-white photo of the artist with a sketch for a mosaic

In addition to the many murals Conrad Albrizio painted through the WPA, he was commissioned by Governor Huey P. Long to paint the murals in the Louisiana state capitol. He taught art at LSU from 1935 until his retirement in 1954. ZoomifyView »

Conrad Albrizio

Albrizio, Conrad - Photograph - Black-and-white photo of the artist with a sketch for a mosaic

In addition to the many murals Conrad Albrizio painted through the WPA, he was commissioned by Governor Huey P. Long to paint the murals in the Louisiana state capitol. He taught art at LSU from 1935 until his retirement in 1954. ZoomifyView »

Conrad Albrizio

Albrizio, Conrad - Photograph - Black-and-white photo of the artist with a sketch for a mosaic

In addition to the many murals Conrad Albrizio painted through the WPA, he was commissioned by Governor Huey P. Long to paint the murals in the Louisiana state capitol. He taught art at LSU from 1935 until his retirement in 1954. ZoomifyView »

Angelina Plantation

Angelina Plantation - Photograph - Robert Tebbs

A fireplace with cooking kettle at Angelina Plantation. ZoomifyView »

Amédé Ardoin

Ardoin, Amédé - Photograph - Standing portrait

An undated photograph of Amédé Ardoin. ZoomifyView »

Louis Armstrong & Bunk Johnson

Armstrong, Louis - Photograph - Pictured with Bunk Johnson

Bunk Johnson, an early twentieth-century New Orleans trumpet player, served as a source of musical inspiration for Louis Armstrong. Johnson lost his teeth and trumpet in 1931. He worked as a laborer until 1942, when fellow musicians and writers, including Armstrong, took up a collection to pay for dentures and a new trumpet. View »

Ashland Belle Helene Plantation

Ashland Belle Helene - Photograph - Plantation Architecture

Ashland-Belle Helene was once a sugar and rice farming operation on the Mississippi River in Ascension Parish. Although restored and maintained, the house is not open to the public. View »

Ashland Plantation

Ashland Plantation - Photograph - Exterior view

Ashland-Belle Helene Plantation was built in 1841, on a natural levee in Ascension Parish. Although the date of this photograph is unknown, the estate fell into disrepair in the 1930s and is currently being restored by Shell Chemical Company. ZoomifyView »

Ashland Plantation

Ashland Plantation - Photograph - Exterior View

Ashland-Belle Helene was built by prominent planter and lawmaker Duncan Farrar Kenner as a gift to his wife, Anne (Nanine) Bringier, who came from one of Louisiana’s most influential French families. ZoomifyView »

Ashland Plantation

Ashland Plantation - Photograph - Exterior View

The first owner named this plantation home "Ashland" after an estate in Kentucky owned by US statesman Henry Clay, and it was later renamed "Belle Helene" in honor of the second owner's daughter. Frances Benjamin Johnston made this photograph, date unknown. ZoomifyView »

Ashland-Belle Helene Plantation

Ashland-Belle Helene Plantation - Photograph - Exterior View

Perhaps more than any other plantation house, Ashland-Belle Helene epitomizes the popular image of the grand Greek Revival southern mansion. ZoomifyView »